Sunday, September 11, 2011

NEVER FORGET: Thoughts on 9/11

September 11, 2011 - I turn 54 years old today.  At this age, birthdays are pretty much a non-event.  After all, I am just one day older than I was the day before.  I have 'celebrated' in pretty typical fashion for me.  Picked up around the house a little, did some laundry, talked to my family, and received well-wishes from so many people that I wonder how God could have blessed me with so many wonderful people as a part of my life.

For those in the U.S. reading this, it is not just another day.  Ten years ago today in a startling attack, the effects of terrorism made themselves devastatingly felt on U.S. soil. (The first time since Pearl Harbor, Dec.7, 1941 when Americans were so vulnerable on their own soil.)  Far too many lives were lost, and the climate of life in our country was dramatically changed.  It is a tragedy that will leave its mark Americans and American society for decades to come.  I have seen many television commercials and Facebook posts that say "Never forget."  I doubt that any of us who watched with horror as the events of that day were broadcast over and over again across the media will ever truly forget the tragedy, as much as in many ways we may wish we could.


But there are other things that I hope that we NEVER FORGET.  Other things that I believe, in fact, are more important to remember.   

#1:  I hope we NEVER FORGET 9/12/2001 and the days, weeks and months that followed when strangers became united in prayer and courage, standing and working side by side in the arduous labours of rescue, recovery, and healing.  I hope we NEVER FORGET the miracles of survival, the miracles of unity, and the bonds of kinship that were forged from the fires and the wreckage of that day. It is in those stories, those moments, those miracles that our truest identity is formed and the promised hope of the future peeks through the smoke and ash to remind us that tragedy - even tragedy of such epic proportion as 9/11/2001 - will NEVER be the final history of our world. 

#2:  I hope that we NEVER FORGET that the final history of our world has been written already.  It is written in the blood-soaked words of Jesus Christ as he gave up his Spirit on the cross.  "It is finished."  God's work of reconciling the world to himself was completed in the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ.  I hope beyond all hope that we NEVER FORGET that we are moving toward and growing into that new reality every single day and every single time we shine a light of hope into another person's darkness, or forge bonds of unity and kinship built on care and compassion.  It does not take a tragedy the proportion of 9/11 for those miracles to occur and shape our identities and our society's identity.  I hope we NEVER FORGET that the cross of Christ and His resurrection DO make a difference - in the aftermath of 9/11 and in the every day trials, temptations, tragedies, and troubles that plague our human existence.

#3:  I hope we NEVER FORGET that tragedies like this happen every day in places around the globe - Norway, London, Northern Ireland, the countries of the Middle East, South America, and Africa to name just a few.  I hope that we NEVER FORGET that a tragedy like 9/11 which was a day of infamy in the United States is a just the normal way of life for far too many of our brothers and sisters around the world.

FINALLY:  I hope we NEVER FORGET that the only way that #3 changes and we have a chance that something like 9/11 (or Dec 7, 1941 for that matter) does not become our every day reality is by making sure we NEVER FORGET the inside-out reality of #1 and #2.

Many have asked me what I wanted for my birthday and I haven't really been able to give a good answer.  I need nothing and have more than I deserve.  Today I finally realized what I want -

I want us to NEVER FORGET!  NEVER FORGET the important things that the tragedy and rubble of 9/11/2001 can teach us if only we will open ourselves to the possibilities of new life in the Spirit.

May the grace and peace of our Lord, Jesus Christ be the source of our remembrance.

Peace -
PK (+)

No comments:

Post a Comment