Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Moving from Martha mode to Mary time

38Now as they went on their way, he entered a certain village, where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. 39She had a sister named Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to what he was saying. 40But Martha was distracted by her many tasks; so she came to him and asked, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her then to help me." 41But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; 42there is need of only one thing.

Mary has chosen the better part, which will not be taken away.  (Luke 10:38-42)

I seem to be caught in Martha mode these days.  I know better.  I have preached about the importance of engaging in "the better part."  I have chastised and nagged colleagues and friends about nourishing their souls and caring for themeselves as a child of God.  I have taught about the importance of discerning between urgent things (those things that scream for attention NOW) and essential things (those things which are living giving and soul quenching).   But I have been busy paying attention to all of the screaming urgent things lately, to the neglect of those essential things.  I find myself wanting to tell somebody to find themselves a different Martha because this pilgrim wants some Mary time.

The problem is, there is no one at whom I can scream.  I am the culprit here.  I can stop Martha mode.  I can close my ears to the screaming of the urgent and allow the song of the essential things to echo deep in my soul.  And I have not.  The question I have to ask myself is why.  Why is it that I am unable (unwilling?) to put a halt to Martha mode and make my own Mary time?  I can make all sorts of excuses, but the real reason is sin.  Sin is what causes me to neglect the single-most important relationship in my life and be wooed away by louder voices, shiny baubles, and the praise of people that comes with being a hard-worker and over-acheiver.

Listening to music while exercising tonight, I heard these lyrics:  "All I want to do is give this life to you, and let your will be done, until its all I want to do."  (Ginny Owens: All I Want to Do).  My initial thought was, "Me too!"  But then it hit me.  I cannot give my life to God.  It was God's in the first place.  Given to me and redeemed by Jesus.  And God's will, WILL be done - with or without me.    That is where my doggone sinfulness creeps in.  I forget that who I am, what I am, every day, every breath, and everything I do is God's and NOT mine.  I actually think that this life is my own.

So maybe for a few days or a few hours, more likely for a few minutes, the Holy Spirit will move me from Martha mode to Mary time.  Your will be done, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment